Saturday, December 10, 2005
  omg! what a couple of days!
so i spent last night in the ER. i woke up at 4 a.m. yesterday, nauseous again and with the chest pain. like, right below my ribcage, in the middle. i slept badly until 7 or so, when i called the doc.. i went right in and talked to the doc, who guessed that i either had 1) an ulcer, 2) an eroded esophagus, 3) gallstones, or 4) i can't remember. gave me a prescription for prevacid and a gallbladder ultrasound. he said if it got worse, i could go into the ER and they'd do the ultrasound there.

i started to feel a little better on the way home, so went into work. i was here for all of an hour before i had another attack that left me bawling, so i went home. was fine again for a bit, then in horrible pain. so i grabbed some books (be prepared!) and went to the ER at about 3. at 6 or so, i started to get anxious - i had been sitting through attack after attack in the waiting room. bawling. in pain. i said i had an appt. the next day for an ultrasound, so if it was going to be much longer, i'd really rather wait it out at home rather than in an uncomfortable wooden chair. on top of that, i was starving (all i could think was: boston market!) and had a headache from crying. but they got me an ultrasound. luckily, i'd have half-hour periods where i'd feel fine and was able to read and actively hate on some of the other people in the waiting room. but then it would start to hurt again..

then i had more waiting. at about 10 p.m., i got a room. the doc came to talk to me.. very very nice doctor.. nothing was wrong with my gallbladder. he figured the Rx the dermatologist gave me earlier in the week had caused some stomach problems. he'd give me some stomach drugs and painkillers.

40 minutes of sitting in a hospital gown and freezing my ass off, the nurse finally came with a cup of "GI cocktail" - drink it quick, she said, as it numbs everything, including your mouth. and some percoset. and she gave me a TV, on which i promptly found an episode of Law & Order. it was around now that i wished i had someone close enough, in proximity and in relationship, that i felt comfortable calling.

30 minutes later, i was still in pain enough to cause me to cry out.. the nurse came back in and was worried - everything should've kicked in by then. so i got a nice little morphine injection and scheduled for a CT scan.

within 2 seconds of her injecting the second painkiller, i could feel it.. first in my neck, then everywhere. it was awesome. i had my phone the whole time but didn't feel like talking until then, so i tried to call dawny first.. today i looked at my phone and had to laugh. i'd get "60660" dialed and fall asleep. try again: 60860. i remember trying to call alli too, on the hospital phone.. i'd dial, having to concentrate VERY HARD on the buttons.. then fall asleep.. wake back up and check the phone where i got one of those angry "you've left the phone off the hook too long" noises. apologies to alli if i actually did succeed in calling her. three times. and falling asleep before i could say hi.

they woke me up at 3:30 or so and said i was okay to go; the CT scan, that i only barely remember being done, turned out normal. i was still stumbling around, from the painkillers, but feeling so, so, so much better.

i woke up today -- at 3 p.m.! -- in a panic - i was still hurting! within a few seconds, it sunk in that it wasn't like yesterday's pain.. thank god. that shit was exhausting. so now i'm chugging maalox and taking it easy.

that's been my weekend so far! fun, fun! :)
i hope you're okay :(
oh my god! how scary! hope you're feeling better today!
Stacy I hope you find out whats wrong and the pain goes away. That sucks to have it happen anytime but it even worse when it the weekend,

I'm so sorry!!! I am sure that was just miserable for you. I had a similar experience when I was in college, and the ER docs guessed that it was gallstones. Luckily, mine went away on it's own. I hope your's all goes away asap! Take it easy until then though.
feel better soon. and be glad it wasn't in your butt.
Sorry to hear that! Hope you're feeling better and that it turns out to be just because of the meds!
Post a Comment

<< Home
I'm Stacey. I'm a 31(!)-year-old Wisconsin girl living in sunny South Florida. The highlights in my life are my lovely boyfriend, my aloof cats, my adorable/adoring stepdogs, my two lumbering tortoises, select family members, being outside, being underwater, taking pictures, yadda yadda. Stay tuned for lots of babbling!

Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States


froogle wishlist
Amazon wishlist

Animal Concerns Community
PetFinder, adoption
PetHarbor, adoption
Animal News
HSUS - Farm Animals Info
HSUS Guide to Veggie Eating

TWIP - This Week In Photography
Nat'l Geographic PoD
Clyde Butcher, photographer
Reference Desk
Powers of 10
The Morning News
Bad News Hughes
Cute Overload
natalie dee

June 2004 / August 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 /

Making a difference

A small boy lived by the ocean. He loved the creatures of the sea, especially the starfish, and he spent much of his time exploring the seashore.

One day the boy learned there would be a minus tide that would leave the starfish stranded on the sand.

When the tide went out, he went down to the beach, began picking up the stranded starfish, and tossing them back into the ocean.

An elderly man who lived next door came down to the beach to see what the boy was doing. Seeing the man's quizzical expression, the boy paused as he approached. "I'm saving the starfish!" the boy proudly declared.

When the neighbor saw all of the stranded starfish he shook his head and said: "I'm sorry to disappoint you, young man, but if you look down the beach, there are stranded starfish as far as the eye can see. And if you look up the beach the other way, it's the same. One little boy like you isn't going to make much of a difference."

The boy thought about this for a moment. Then he reached his small hand down to the sand, picked up another starfish, tossed it out into the ocean, and said: "Well, I sure made a difference for that one!"

Powered by Blogger
i power blogger