Monday, April 03, 2006
  Oh, am I ever sore!
What a long and really good weekend!

Let's see. Friday night I stayed home and went to bed early. Why?

Because I had signed myself up for Beach Boot Camp! 8 a.m., Fort Lauderdale beach.

It was a heckuva workout. It finished at 9:30 and I was just so happy to be up and awake on a gorgeous day so early, with a 90-minute workout already behind me! It was really quiet grueling, and the sun was beginning to make me feel ill at one point, but that passed and I feel so good about it that I'm going back next Saturday.

Just in case I wasn't already guaranteed to wake up sore the next day, I followed this by a three-hour kayaking excursion in the afternoon. My roommate Balu had an organization picnic at Oleta River State Park to go to and invited me along. Although I came to the picnic quite late, it was in plenty of time to go kayaking, so a few of us did. It was my first time kayaking and I really loved it. There were a few islands we made pit stops at, so I got to play fetch with a weimeraner and check out a million half-inch long fiddler crabs. Too bad I didn't have my camera along!

Saturday night was another early night as building Wailey's enclosure was on the agenda for Sunday. However, we did have a great breakthrough that night - Wailey ate! In front of me! Usually, the second I set him down, he heads off for somewhere to hide.

Sunday morning, Mark drove up (bless his heart) to help me and Balu with the tortoise enclosure. After much planning and discussing, we finally figured out a good spot for it and started it. Well, they started it. I hung around, feeling useless, and then went inside and did some women's work. (Dishes. Ha ha.) The enclosure isn't all that attractive, but it works and it's built out of extra wood Balu had laying around, so at $0, it was quite a bargain. It struck me as the pen was coming into shape how much I lucked out, roommate-wise. Not only does Balu tolerate the cats clawing down the screens on his sliding doors, but he doesn't mind awkward little tortoises trudging around the house, or turning part of his yard into a tortoise pen. And not only that, but he helped build the enclosure. Helped! Ahh! Bless the Craigslist, assisting me to find a couch and a bed and a great roommate!

After Balu had to run off to his rowing practice, Mark & I went to Home Depot to pick out some plants for the enclosure. By the time we got back, it was nearing on sunset.. So we worked as fast as we could to get the prickly plants out, the new plants in, and everything settled in. Although it was dark by the time we finished, I was pretty stubborn about having Wailey sniff around his new digs.

So this picture was taken in the dark.
Both Wailey and Bjorn are in the enclosure today. I hope they're happy!

Last night, it was Law & Order and pizza and now back to work! A bit more tan, a lot more sore, but happy. :)
The enclosure looks really nice!
what a great weekend! you've got some really lucky turtles!
Post a Comment

<< Home
I'm Stacey. I'm a 31(!)-year-old Wisconsin girl living in sunny South Florida. The highlights in my life are my lovely boyfriend, my aloof cats, my adorable/adoring stepdogs, my two lumbering tortoises, select family members, being outside, being underwater, taking pictures, yadda yadda. Stay tuned for lots of babbling!

Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States


froogle wishlist
Amazon wishlist

Animal Concerns Community
PetFinder, adoption
PetHarbor, adoption
Animal News
HSUS - Farm Animals Info
HSUS Guide to Veggie Eating

TWIP - This Week In Photography
Nat'l Geographic PoD
Clyde Butcher, photographer
Reference Desk
Powers of 10
The Morning News
Bad News Hughes
Cute Overload
natalie dee

June 2004 / August 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 /

Making a difference

A small boy lived by the ocean. He loved the creatures of the sea, especially the starfish, and he spent much of his time exploring the seashore.

One day the boy learned there would be a minus tide that would leave the starfish stranded on the sand.

When the tide went out, he went down to the beach, began picking up the stranded starfish, and tossing them back into the ocean.

An elderly man who lived next door came down to the beach to see what the boy was doing. Seeing the man's quizzical expression, the boy paused as he approached. "I'm saving the starfish!" the boy proudly declared.

When the neighbor saw all of the stranded starfish he shook his head and said: "I'm sorry to disappoint you, young man, but if you look down the beach, there are stranded starfish as far as the eye can see. And if you look up the beach the other way, it's the same. One little boy like you isn't going to make much of a difference."

The boy thought about this for a moment. Then he reached his small hand down to the sand, picked up another starfish, tossed it out into the ocean, and said: "Well, I sure made a difference for that one!"

Powered by Blogger
i power blogger