estacey
Monday, April 24, 2006
  The weekly post (ha ha)
This weekend, I participated in Baynanza, going out on a canoe with a group Balu volunteers with, the Wildlife Research Team. The mangroves we were paddling through were just gorgeous.. Very peaceful and pretty. And all the crabs we saw!

Saturday night was Matt Hoe's birthday party. I always love get-togethers at the Hoes' and this was no exception. Yummy food, great friends, kids to pick on, sangria..

Sunday morning probably would have been a wash, but Balu had already rented equipment to go diving, so I acted a trooper, took some Excedrin, and went out to Datura. Oh, and am I ever lucky I did! Turns out that Bill's friend Paul who met us there has a boat. We got to do a boat dive! I never go on boats anymore, so now it's such a special treat.. And, apparently this Paul fella dives quite a bit and welcomes people aboard. So, yay! We saw a 6-foot long moray eel and the always-present tons o' fish, crabs, etc. It was gorgeous again all weekend, the water is steadily warming up (although I'm still wearing two wetsuits).. Ahh, life is good. :) I could've done another dive that afternoon, but sadly wasn't feeling so hot so chose to go relax at home instead.

I was talking to Mark last week and he commented on the fact that I haven't been updating my blog lately, or something to that effect. I thought for a minute and said, "Well, I guess I don't have much to say. Although I did find a couple really cool spiderwebs in the yard." He laughed. "I'm not being funny," I said. "Oh, yes, but you are." Ha ha. So anyway, I charged up my camera and here goes: The Most Boring Photos Ever. Except to Me.

I bought a succulent a month or so back. And it's still alive..

And flowering even!


How gorgeous is that?

A dove has built a nest in the grapefruit tree in the backyard. I showed it to Balu when I noticed it and he said that we could check it out from the roof. I brought my camera, but unfortunately couldn't get such a hot picture because that chick on the right seemed very nervous. I was worried it'd try to fly the coop before its time to escape me, so I had to take the pics from pretty far back, despite the fact that I could probably have reached the nest from the roof.



I planted sunflowers a week ago and they're all sprouting now!


I love to see things like this growing and doing well.


I have a pretty little ivy plant in my shower on the windowsill. It's a great place for a plant because I will never, ever forget to water it there. Lots of ants have taken up residence there. Unfortunately, sometimes they go down in the bathtub and die a horrible death in a deluge of soapy water - once I noticed they were there I had to lay a ground rule that they were welcome to live in the plant, but that I could not be dealing with worrying about saving all the ants from the tub before each day's shower. I usually stand by that rule, but sometimes I get coerced by a little ant looking hopeless and whose antennaes are sticking to the tile and I intervene and rescue. When I went to do that the other night, using a leaf from the plant, I got another surprise: I have baby snails in my plant! I've seen three so far. They're super tiny.


This is one of the bigger guys.

And now my cute little crab. I found him while kayaking at Oleta State Park.. or Recreation Area or whatever it is. Anyway, it was just a few weeks ago. There were little fiddler crabs everywhere. But, like, the smallest ones I've ever seen. Half-my-pinky-nail sized. One caught my eye by moving a bit funny. I investigated and discovered that while it had both its claws, it only had legs on one side. Now, I've kept crabs as pets before, including one that only had three legs (that's out of eight), so I know how to care for them and that they'll grow their legs back with the next molt, so I put this little girl in my water bottle and took her home. I made her a little enclosure with a coral cave to hide in. She lives in my bathroom.

I thought I'd have her for a few months, but less than two weeks after I brought her home, I discovered her old exoskeleton laying in the sand. And there was a brand new, perfect little crab - with all her legs! So she'll be going back to Oleta within the next couple of weeks.



Here she is, tucked into the crevices of my hand and resting against the band of my ring.



And now the spiderwebs that inspired this Phototour of the Small Things that Make Me Smile Every Day But Will Probably Get Me Made Fun Of. Both the X and the circle design are part of the webs..

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
I'm Stacey. I'm a 31(!)-year-old Wisconsin girl living in sunny South Florida. The highlights in my life are my lovely boyfriend, my aloof cats, my adorable/adoring stepdogs, my two lumbering tortoises, select family members, being outside, being underwater, taking pictures, yadda yadda. Stay tuned for lots of babbling!

Name:
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States

Petfinder
Petharbor

froogle wishlist
Amazon wishlist

animals/wildlife
Animal Concerns Community
PetFinder, adoption
PetHarbor, adoption
Animal News
HSUS - Farm Animals Info
HSUS Guide to Veggie Eating

others
craigslist
Flickr
TWIP - This Week In Photography
Nat'l Geographic PoD
VolunteerMatch
McSweeneys
Clyde Butcher, photographer
Fitday.com
Reference Desk
Powers of 10
The Morning News
Bad News Hughes
ikeepadiary.com
Cute Overload
dooce
Kottke.org
natalie dee

June 2004 / August 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 /


Making a difference

A small boy lived by the ocean. He loved the creatures of the sea, especially the starfish, and he spent much of his time exploring the seashore.

One day the boy learned there would be a minus tide that would leave the starfish stranded on the sand.

When the tide went out, he went down to the beach, began picking up the stranded starfish, and tossing them back into the ocean.

An elderly man who lived next door came down to the beach to see what the boy was doing. Seeing the man's quizzical expression, the boy paused as he approached. "I'm saving the starfish!" the boy proudly declared.

When the neighbor saw all of the stranded starfish he shook his head and said: "I'm sorry to disappoint you, young man, but if you look down the beach, there are stranded starfish as far as the eye can see. And if you look up the beach the other way, it's the same. One little boy like you isn't going to make much of a difference."

The boy thought about this for a moment. Then he reached his small hand down to the sand, picked up another starfish, tossed it out into the ocean, and said: "Well, I sure made a difference for that one!"


Powered by Blogger
i power blogger