estacey
Saturday, January 26, 2008
  This new gig ROCKS!
You know, the one where I go to school?

We're in Orlando right now.

See, Chris has a conference to attend here, starting Friday. Because of this new schedule, I was able to come along. We came here on Thursday, and I just had to skip my two Friday classes. This wouldn't always be possible, like if I had a test or something, but nothing crucial was happening, so it was possible. (In the future, I'm going to try to schedule classes for Tuesday and Thursday instead. I have no idea if that's possible to get 5 classes in on two days, but I can certainly try!) Of course, Sunday at home is going to be a little slice of hell. I have LOTS to do - a paper to write, a whole bunch of studying to do for my first Lit Theory test, etc. But it all evens out... Three days of chillin', 1 day of working hard. S'all good.

Anyway, so Chris has to go to his conference and learn about fun stuff (I won't even go there), and then we get to go and do fun stuff. Today was Universal Studios. We discovered that apparently winter on a weekday is the best time to be at a theme park here -- there were no lines! Seriously! It would say "15 minutes" as the wait time at the entrance to the ride, but then we'd just literally run through to the actual ride and board. It was awesome. We went on everything, but we're old so we only went on everything once. Rollercoasters are great, but afterwards I have a generally-icky feeling for a little while. And after, like, six things that make your stomach go into your throat, it's kinda like, um, okay, I've had enough for a while.

There was a movie theater there, too, so we decided to see something. I said, "Hey, how about 27 Dresses?" Chris, having seen the previews for this movie, wanted to avoid it at all costs. "Rambo?" he replied. I firmly nixed this by saying, "Remember the last Rocky?" Chris conceded to my point. We shot around a few ideas. I said the 2nd National Treasure would be alright, if he liked the first one? No, he didn't. We talked some more about our options. I came back to 27 Dresses. And then he said, okay, let's see National Treasure. "Nuh-uh!" I said, looking disappointed. "Oh, OKAY." Chris walked up to the ticket counter. "Two for 27 Dresses." The ticket lady started to ring the tickets up. Then Chris asked, "Is this a chick flick?" The lady looked at me and looked at him and said, "Um, yeah." I could tell she wasn't sure if she should tell the truth or not, for my sake, but there was really no getting around the fact that THIS WAS A CHICK FLICK. Chris is like, "Aww, MAN!" I just started laughing and said, "He must really like me." He must. :)

Of course, I had to hit him numerous times throughout the movie to stop being so cynical. And there was one time he dropped my hand and said he was going to leave. That had to have been during a mushy part. Ahh, my Chris. He really is too funny. We're all sorts of mushy, but he likes to pretend he hates it in the movies. :D

By the way, it was a pretty cute movie. Much better than Knocked Up, the last romantic comedy I dragged him too, also starring Katherine Heigl. Chris agreed with that point, although I don't know if he would agree with the "'pretty cute" part.

I've wanted to go to Animal Kingdom for a long time, so tomorrow we're doing that. I've always been apprehensive about it. After all, it's like a theme park with a zoo, basically. Sounds like a horrible combination, right? And everyone assumes I love zoos, but that ain't the case. Almost every time I go to a zoo, I end up getting depressed, worrying over a particular animal showing that depressed-captive behavior. Like that damn hyena in the zoo in Madison that was obsessively pacing back and forth in its cage. You couldn't pay me to go back to that zoo. Other zoos are better, of course... The National Zoo was alright; I don't remember leaving there depressed. But anyway, Disney actually has a really good reputation. They're accredited, they support the AZA, etc. So I hope their reputation is reflected in the exhibits so there aren't a bunch of bored animals tomorrow.

It's late, so I guess I'll go back to bed now. Waking out of a deep sleep for the evening shower is always such a mistake...
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
I'm Stacey. I'm a 31(!)-year-old Wisconsin girl living in sunny South Florida. The highlights in my life are my lovely boyfriend, my aloof cats, my adorable/adoring stepdogs, my two lumbering tortoises, select family members, being outside, being underwater, taking pictures, yadda yadda. Stay tuned for lots of babbling!

Name:
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States

Petfinder
Petharbor

froogle wishlist
Amazon wishlist

animals/wildlife
Animal Concerns Community
PetFinder, adoption
PetHarbor, adoption
Animal News
HSUS - Farm Animals Info
HSUS Guide to Veggie Eating

others
craigslist
Flickr
TWIP - This Week In Photography
Nat'l Geographic PoD
VolunteerMatch
McSweeneys
Clyde Butcher, photographer
Fitday.com
Reference Desk
Powers of 10
The Morning News
Bad News Hughes
ikeepadiary.com
Cute Overload
dooce
Kottke.org
natalie dee

June 2004 / August 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 /


Making a difference

A small boy lived by the ocean. He loved the creatures of the sea, especially the starfish, and he spent much of his time exploring the seashore.

One day the boy learned there would be a minus tide that would leave the starfish stranded on the sand.

When the tide went out, he went down to the beach, began picking up the stranded starfish, and tossing them back into the ocean.

An elderly man who lived next door came down to the beach to see what the boy was doing. Seeing the man's quizzical expression, the boy paused as he approached. "I'm saving the starfish!" the boy proudly declared.

When the neighbor saw all of the stranded starfish he shook his head and said: "I'm sorry to disappoint you, young man, but if you look down the beach, there are stranded starfish as far as the eye can see. And if you look up the beach the other way, it's the same. One little boy like you isn't going to make much of a difference."

The boy thought about this for a moment. Then he reached his small hand down to the sand, picked up another starfish, tossed it out into the ocean, and said: "Well, I sure made a difference for that one!"


Powered by Blogger
i power blogger