Thursday, September 06, 2007
  Trip report!
Let's see how far I get.. I have been utterly pooped, so haven't tackled writing about the trip. I'm fairly pooped tonight, so may just do a little now!

I was still feeling rough while getting ready Sunday morning. The fact that I stayed up until 2 getting ready did not help matters, of course. We were supposed to get up at 5-something, leave at 6-something. Luckily, while Chris rose with the sun (as usual), he let me sleep in because he is a very, very kind soul. I slept until 7:30.

So anyway, I was still miserable on Sunday. Trying to gather my things while stifling a sneeze, squinting. I was very disappointed -- still wanting to go, but disappointed I would feel so icky on my trip.

Last ditch, I took some Dayquil and did some nasal sprays right before we left. Chris realized the ice had all melted and had to run over to the store to get some more. I collapsed on the couch and realized how much I wanted to just stay there, on the couch, in the air conditionining. It was a very scary realization.

But a half-hour or so into the boat ride, I felt everything start to get clear. Wow, I thought, that Afrin must be some good stuff. I made a mental note to repeat the Dayquil & Afrin routine later.

I never had to do anything else the rest of the trip and I felt fine. Amazing, right?

So anyway, we were warned that the gulf stream can be all scary and rough. We hit it on a good day and only knew we were in it because of the change in the color of the water. It was freaking amazing. Seriously.

i obviously could not get over this water.

So it was a really nice, smooth ride. I watched an episode of Law & Order and snapped lots of pictures and, next thing I knew, Bimini was in sight!

bimini gotta delete some of these pics just have to decide which!

Of course, neither Chris nor I knew what to do next. We motored around hoping to see something that would give us a clue. We ended up by a trawling boat, on which the fellas shouted over that we needed to go find the pink building, which was customs. Okay, we said, and were on our merry way.

This was the channel we were going through.


It was gorgeous.

There were lots of boats around. Everyone, you could tell, was from Florida. No one was obeying the "NO WAKE ZONE" signs. That was annoying.

Right next to the channel was this:


I wonder how many drunken boaters run into that.

Well, we ended up at the marina for a resort. A nice dude that worked for them hopped on our boat and said he'd show us where customs was. When we pulled up to the building, Chris and I both exclaimed, "This is the PINK BUILDING we were looking for?!"

so this is the pink building you can't miss, huh?


Later on, we saw the building from the street and then it made a little more sense.

i guess this explains it..

It used to be pink.

I think the falling-down Customs sign is definitely a nice touch, don't you?

We had some paperwork to fill out, but eventually they told us we could stay and they gave me a nice stamp for my passport.

first stamp!

We anchored out in the channel so we could clean ourselves up... Ahh, showers!

ahh, that's better!

Then we went "into town." We did a very quick tour, but that's really all you need of Bimini. We decided on the Red Lion Pub to eat. They serve turtle, which they bill as tasting "like veal" (double bonus!). I had to eat the shrimp off of Chris's seafood sampler and some corn on the cob. Ha. When we got back to the boat, I made myself a fluffernutter.

We had planned on going back out onto the water to sleep, but Chris's friend in the big boat had left, so we decided to sleep back at the marina. For which we never paid... So we officially were squatting. There were all these empty spots, and who knows where the dockmaster was.. and we weren't getting electricity or water or anything anyhow. Rationalize, rationalize.

the resort where we squatted.

It was actually a pretty good situation. I had a real, flushing toilet to use in the morning, with a place to wash my hands, etc. They even had a nice restaurant we apparently should've eaten at... This is where we had to get our air fills, this is where the locals told me I had to come for ice, etc. It's the cornerstone of the community, this place.

Also, they had showers.

where we squatted.  see where i showered?

Considering we got all this for free, I was willing to forgive them for the Jimmy Buffett. I mean, I like Jimmy as much as the next chick, but can we get any more cliche for something to play at a waterfront resort? They did play Sublime at one point, but mostly it was Jimmy Buffett and stuff that sounded very much like him. I'm sure the staff loves the music. During the day, all the guests were gone and it was just the almost just the staff around, cleaning and hanging out and shooting pool and stuff, but STILL it was the Eagles and stuff on the radio. What a shame -- I much preferred the stuff I heard coming out cars going by on the street.

OK, now, yeah - wow - I need some sleep. More manana!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
I'm Stacey. I'm a 31(!)-year-old Wisconsin girl living in sunny South Florida. The highlights in my life are my lovely boyfriend, my aloof cats, my adorable/adoring stepdogs, my two lumbering tortoises, select family members, being outside, being underwater, taking pictures, yadda yadda. Stay tuned for lots of babbling!

Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States


froogle wishlist
Amazon wishlist

Animal Concerns Community
PetFinder, adoption
PetHarbor, adoption
Animal News
HSUS - Farm Animals Info
HSUS Guide to Veggie Eating

TWIP - This Week In Photography
Nat'l Geographic PoD
Clyde Butcher, photographer
Reference Desk
Powers of 10
The Morning News
Bad News Hughes
Cute Overload
natalie dee

June 2004 / August 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 /

Making a difference

A small boy lived by the ocean. He loved the creatures of the sea, especially the starfish, and he spent much of his time exploring the seashore.

One day the boy learned there would be a minus tide that would leave the starfish stranded on the sand.

When the tide went out, he went down to the beach, began picking up the stranded starfish, and tossing them back into the ocean.

An elderly man who lived next door came down to the beach to see what the boy was doing. Seeing the man's quizzical expression, the boy paused as he approached. "I'm saving the starfish!" the boy proudly declared.

When the neighbor saw all of the stranded starfish he shook his head and said: "I'm sorry to disappoint you, young man, but if you look down the beach, there are stranded starfish as far as the eye can see. And if you look up the beach the other way, it's the same. One little boy like you isn't going to make much of a difference."

The boy thought about this for a moment. Then he reached his small hand down to the sand, picked up another starfish, tossed it out into the ocean, and said: "Well, I sure made a difference for that one!"

Powered by Blogger
i power blogger